How can I pay for OTT tax?
This is a common question among Ugandans nowadays ever since the government introduced the social media tax.
The tax, which was introduced on 1 July 2018 by the government of Uganda has been met with a lot of controversy.
Below is the social media tax public notice by MTN, Airtel and Africell.
In this blog post I’ll be sharing how to pay the social media tax (OTT) tax on all networks.
- 0.1 How to pay OTT tax on Lycamobile Uganda
- 0.2 How to pay OTT tax on Africell
- 0.3 How to pay social media tax on Airtel Uganda
- 0.4 How do I pay OTT using Airtel Airtime?
- 0.5 How to check OTT balance on Airtel?
- 1 How do I pay OTT on MTN
How to pay OTT tax on Lycamobile Uganda
To pay the OTT tax on Lycamobile Uganda simply follow these steps
1. Dial *252#
2. Then select Airtime and Bundles (option 6)
3. Select Internet Bundles (option 2)
4. Select Lycamobile (option 3)
5. You can then enter your lycamobile number
6. Choose between weekly and monthly OTT (option 4 and 5)
7. You can then proceed and authorize payment with your mobile money pin.
8. Done! You have just paid the OTT tax on lycamobile Uganda.
How to pay OTT tax on Africell
As an Africell customer, you have the option of paying for OTT tax using either MTN Uganda or Airtel Uganda.
For demonstration purposes, I’ll be using MTN to pay social media tax for an Africell number.
Using MTN Uganda to pay OTT for Africell.
1. Dial *165*2*6#and then select the Africell tax option
2. You can then select your preferred OTT tax package ie weekly, monthly or annual.
You can then press Enter.
3. Once you have made a selection, confirm the transaction by entering your MTN mobile money pin code.
You will then receive a confirmation message shortly indicating a successful payment of the OTT tax for Africell.
Simply follow these simple steps to pay the social media tax on Airtel
1. Dial *165*2*5#
2. You’ll the have to select whether to pay for self or to pay for others. Select the option that suits you.
For the case of this tutorial I will be selecting the first option (For self)
3. Select a package of your choice.
You will be able to choose from the daily social media tax of Ugshs 200, the weekly OTT tax of Ugshs 1400 or the monthly OTT tax of Ugshs 6000.
You can also be able to pay for the annual OTT tax.
4. Once you have selected your preferred OTT tax package, you can then confirm the transaction by entering your Airtel Mobile Money pin code and press Enter.
5. You will then receive a message from Airtel Uganda confirming that you have successfully paid for the OTT tax.
How do I pay OTT using Airtel Airtime?
Unfortunately payments for the OTT tax can only be made using Airtel Mobile Money.
How to check OTT balance on Airtel?
To check your OTT balance on Airtel, dial *175*4#
You will then receive a notification showing your current data and OTT balance.
How do I pay OTT on MTN
To pay OTT tax on MTN simply follow these simple steps.
1. Dial *165*2*6*1#
2. Select the social media package you would like to pay for.
You can either select the daily OTT tax (Ugshs 200), weekly OTT tax (Ugshs 1400) or monthly OTT tax (Ugshs 6000).
Read Also: How to pay OTT Tax on Airtel Uganda
You can also opt to pay for the annual OTT tax as well.
For the case of this tutorial I will be going with the option of Ugshs 1400
3. Once you have selected your preferred plan, you can then confirm your payment by entering your MTN Mobile Money Pin code
4. You will then receive a confirmation message shortly from MTN Uganda indicating that you have successfully paid for OTT tax.
Read Also: MTN Momo card: Here are 7 facts you didn’t know.
How do I pay MTN OTT tax with Airtime?
Unfortunately you can’t pay for OTT tax on MTN using airtime. The OTT tax can only be paid using MTN mobile money.
How to pay OTT tax on Smile Telecom Uganda
At the time of writing this,smile Uganda has committed to paying OTT service tax for all its customers.